- August 24, 2015 UNSGAB is organizing a side event at Stockholm World Water Week titled "SDG on water and sanitation- measuring progress and ensuring implementation ".
- May 27, 2015 UNSGAB Chair will participate at the AfricaSan panel discussion"Policy to successful implementation" co-convened by GIZ and USAID.
- May 26, 2015 UNSGAB is organizing a side event at AfricaSan titled "UNSGAB's Post-2015 Strategic Dialogue for Africa".
- May 26, 2015 UNSGAB Chair Ms. Uschi Eid will deliver a statement at the AfricaSan Opening Session followed by a panel discussion at the Ministerial Dialogue.
- April 12-17, 2015 UNSGAB members will be participating at the 7th World Water Forum Opening Ceremony in Daegu, as well as be part of several roundtables in Gyeongju, Rep. of Korea.
- April 12-14, 2015 24th UNSGAB Meeting in Gyeongju, Republic of Korea.
- UN-Water, the Secretary-General's Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation and the Friends of Water Steering Committee successfully co-hosted the event "Measuring Progress: Sustainable Development Goal 6, ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all" on March 20. Concept note
- The World Economic Forum Global Risk Report 2015 has identified water as the biggest societal and economic risk for the next ten years.
- On World Health Summit 2014 UNSGAB Chair Dr. Ushi Eid met with Prof. Helene Boisjoly and Prof. Leroy Hood to discuss the pressing issues of the year. Download interview
- November 19th was UN World Toilet Day - this year's theme was Equality and Dignity
- We welcome our new secretariat staff member Mr. Nicolas Franke, Associate Expert in Water Policy. (Oct. 2014)
- UNSGAB successfully held its twenty third meeting in Tokyo Japan (Oct. 29 - Nov. 1, 2014). A Special Session on the Water Cycle Policy with a focus on Water and Disaster was held during the meeting
- The UNSGAB Chair and several members participated in the 2014 World Water Week in Stockholm (31 August - 5 September 2014). Download ppt here and resume here
- The United Nations Watercourses Convention, the first global framework on fresh water and the worlds only global framework for transboundary cooperation endorsed by the General Assembly of the United Nations, officially entered into force today press release (18 August 2014)
- 23rd UNSGAB meeting will be held in Tokyo(28-31 October 2014)
- 22nd UNSGAB meeting was held on the margins of the Singapore International Water Week. Dr. Uschi Eid became the Chair of UNSGAB(1-4 June 2014)
- On 14 April, His Royal Highness Prince El Hassan Bin Talal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan resigned as Chair of UNSGAB due to the crisis of the Arab region. Dr. Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, has become Acting Chair of UNSGAB.
- UNSGAB's Position Paper on a Dedicated Water Goal updated here (March 2014)
- Read an article from The Times of London following an exclusive interview with the UNSGAB Chair here (3 February 2014)
- UNSGAB introduction video from Milan is ready!! here
- Vice-Chair Uschi Eid represented UNSGAB and shared a key-note address at the Global Water Operators Partnership Alliance Congress in Barcelona (27-29 November 2013)
- World Toilet Day was a great success!! Visit www.sanitationdrive2015.org for all the details. See the video message by the Chair here Read the UNSGAB's Chair, UN-Chair and WHO Director-General's WTD day article here (En Ara Chi Fr Rus Es ) (19 November 2013)
- 21st UNSGAB meeting was held on the margins of the Budapest Water Summit. (7-8 October 2013) Hashimoto Action Plan III was launched on Oct. 9 at a side event during the Summit.
- UNSGAB with the support of UN-Water presented "Securing the Future: Designing a Post-2015 Water Goal" on 2nd September during the Stockholm Water Week See the program(2 September 2013)
- The Secretary-General appointed His Royal Highness Prince El Hassan Bin Talal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan as the new Chairman of his Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation (UNSGAB) See the announcement (10 June 2013)
- UNSGAB's 20th UNSGAB meeting was held in Milan. (20-23 May 2013) Board members participated in the Expo Milano Water Strategy launch
- HRH the Prince of Orange stepped down as the chair of UNSGAB as ascending to the throne of the Netherlands (30 April 2013)
- Chair made a speech at the World Water Day in the Hague, 2013. See the speech (22 March 2013)
- UNSGAB co-organized the United Nations Special Thematic Session on Water and Disasters with the Secretary-General at the UN headquarters in NY (6 March 2013)
- UNSGAB made its call for a Post-2015 Global Goal on Water See the text (January 2013)
- Chair made a speech at the Second WHO/UNICEF Consultation on the Formulation of Post 2015 Global WASH Goals See the speech (3 December 2012)
Solving global water problems is central to eradicating poverty and achieving sustainable development. The UNSG's Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation (UNSGAB) is an independent body established in March 2004 by United Nations Secretary-General, Mr. Kofi Annan, to give him advice as well as to galvanize action on water and sanitation issues. Under Chair, Dr. Uschi Eid, the Board is composed of a wide range of dignitaries, technical experts, and individuals with proven experience in providing inspiration, moving the machinery of government, as well as working with the media, the private sector and civil society. UNSGAB Secretariat is hosted by the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), United Nations. To learn more about UNSGAB, please see the UNSGAB introduction video taken at the 20th UNSGAB meeting at Milan, Italy (May, 2013) here
Hashimoto Action Plan III
"With only a short time before the end of 2015 - the MDG target year - water and sanitation challenges are still daunting. The Secretary-General's Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation is committed to continue its advocacy efforts through 2015. To that end, the Board has formulated a set of activities as part of Hashimoto Action Plan III Read more
UNSGAB's position on a dedicated post-2015 water goal
UNSGAB calls for a dedicated water goal in the post-2015 development agenda with three objectives on universal access to water and sanitation, improved wastewater management and pollution control, and better integrated water resources management. First paper (January 2013) Revised paper (March 2014)
- Support for a dedicated water goal is growing and reflected in the Outcome Document of OWG see here
- UNSGAB encourages Member States to ensure that adequate consideration is given to drinking water safety at the target and indicator level under a post-2015 goal on water and sanitation UNSGAB message on drinking water safety